Test

Test Testy

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Some answers

Today's Global Economics session was really wonderful. I have found Prof. Krishna Kumar amazing, the way he explained Solow's steady state was so simple and clear. Apart from that at the end of the session when I asked him about a question that has been hanging in my mind from sometime, his response exactly addressed the aspects I am concerned about.

The question is: If all the companies want to grow faster than ever every quarter and every year, where will it stop. Wouldn't this mad race lead to rapid depletion of natural resources and ever increasing competitiveness.

Prof gave an excellent view. Though it was not exactly an answer it still provided me a base to think and build upon. What he said is that the race of growth is based on improvement in technological productivity and therefore can theoretically last forever, however the concern of natural resources depletion is indeed a concern. However nature and market have been quite adaptive and found solutions to many seemingly deadlock situations and also that when everyone is rich, energy and efforts would be directed towards improvement of ecology, usage of renewable energy sources and other related areas.

Term 2 as expected has been quite hectic and a great learning experience overall and is the primary reason for the reduced number of posts on this blog.

Other interesting events that are happening currently are the Professional and Social Club elections. Apart from that our weekly balanced activity regime is going successfully. I managed to play Tennis twice and Badminton once. It's time for me to take leave and enter the Markstrat world or some other simulation.

Lastly, something about admissions. One of the ISB 09 admission aspirant who has been in touch with me from sometime expressed certain concerns about extra curricula rs and social service. I am reproducing the same below for the benefit of all the aspirants:

Concern
Also, I have noticed something which is kinda disturbing me...I been to certain forums and am part of certain groups where people discuss all about the admission package. One of em is your extracurricular activities.

The thing which seems incorrect, to me is that people trying to get some kind of certificate from any social organisation which proves that so-n-so individual has been doing so-n-so charity work for so-n-so time.

When asked people gave justification which cannot be reproduced...I am in a fix now! what about some souls whose only social work was their family responsibility??

My Response
I had nothing in the extra curriculars. If you have not been able to do anything in your acads or primary career then you must have been doing something else (not whiling away time). You must have been pursuing some hobby, developed expertise in a different area or contributed to something specific. The idea is to see how do you use your time and how focused are you. That's it. Best of luck

No comments:

Post a Comment