Test

Test Testy

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Comparative Advantage: Career and Life Planning

One of the concepts that influenced my thinking to a great extent and helped me shape my career has been the "Three Circles or the Hedgehog concept" that I came across in the book - "Good to Great", by Jim Collins.

After going through the session on international trade and understanding the concept of comparative advantage, I have realized how close both the concepts are. The gist find out what all you can do, find out what you can do better than other things and focus on that.

Though there are slight differences, the key point is to that one should take time out regularly to identify what is that he/she is better at and see how it is valuable to the society in economic sense. This kind of exercise brings in focus and satisfaction. Many times during my 12+ year career I used to feel shaky because I was not sure whether I was good enough only to realize later that I was among the top few. As I used to realize that very late, I couldn't capitalize on my strengths. Once I started thinking in this direction I quickly realized what I can do better and capitalized on that aspect quickly. This is one aspect that helped me to realize the results personally.

On a broader front, I would like to think that all of us are same in certain things but are different in certain few. While keeping in mind the universality keep identifying what's different about you. That understanding alone can take you to places.

Once again, do you know What's your comparative advantage?

5 comments:

  1. I've followed your blog with interest for awhile. It's not everyday to see an HR person posting from ISB. Most posters seem to be IT types.

    I have a question for you... As an HR practitioner, did you ever encounter a situation in which a manager was deliverately sabotaging a project due to personal agenda? If so, what would you recommend the leader of the project to do?

    Thanks much and I wish you continued success at ISB and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Harish,

    Nice to know that someone is reading this blog regularly.

    Coming to the situational question mentioned by, I am tempted to give an answer but considering that a lot of subjectivity is involved, I recommend that we interact in a private mode i.e. through mail. My mail id is kiran.aalla@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kiran!!

    This is Sindura.I have been following your blog since april(i.e just before you joined ISB).The reason i posted this comment is ur response to Harish's message "" Nice to know that someone is reading this blog regularly"", i dont know if it will make you feel any better but we are a set of 4 freinds who regularly follow your blog and also discuss your posts during our dinner time.Two of us are also GMAT aspirants.
    We really appreciate your commitment towards blogging because we understand taking time out of your busy schedule is really difficult.

    All the best and keep posting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sindhu,

    Thanks for the comments. There is indeed a certain happiness in knowing that there are others, whom you don't know, reading your blog regularly.

    In fact I gave the name to the blog - meyouandwe, believing that though we don't know everyone in the world, there are others who are similar to you, share your ideas and thoughts and even appreciate them.

    Like the posts draw the reader, comments excite the writer. It would be nice if you post your comments once in a while.

    ciao

    ReplyDelete
  5. everyday...never occurred to my mind that I should mention it!!

    ReplyDelete