Test

Test Testy

Friday, May 11, 2007

Learning a skill

Last four years I had been working in the Learning and Development area and had been discussing about the cycle of learning a new skill. After a long I have started learning a physical skill - swimming. The first thing I have learnt is about the importance of a coach, the right kind of coach. Second the importance of feedback, unless someone tells you what you are doing wrong, you would never know about that. Third is conscious practice, you seem to get the knack almost immediately, but to be able to do that is not easy, you end up doing the same mistake till you consciously start observing what you are doing. Even then at times when you become weak you resort to your natural ways. It's a great learning, particularly because I have decided to work upon one of weaknesses. I always knew that it is a weakness but I have never admitted it consciously to myself and therefore never really worked upon it. But based on the 360 degree feedback I have received I felt it is time for me take it up head on.

I want to use the insight that I have gained while learning swimming to this goal too and I'm sure it would shorten the cycle.

Yesterday we had a great party - we had biryani, music, dance and booze for those who drink. We had invited our Faculty and they did turn up. They were very sportive and had no reservations to shake a leg with us. It was really nice. I shall post some pics a little later, right now I have to catch up with my MGEC assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment