Test

Test Testy

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Marathon reading

This is my first post in Term 3. As expected we had lots of pre-reads and pre-assignments (something new) but I had a difficult time choosing which book to read. I didn't have many choices though, the fight was between the thick volumes of Corporate Finance and Managerial Accounting and the last book of Harry Potter. I didn't have much trouble as it was just the beginning of the term, I choose Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.



I finished reading the 600 odd pages book in about 10 hours. Originally I planned to read about 50 pages everyday but from the moment I opened the book I couldn't really stop. Luckily one of the classes got postponed, for the first-time at ISB, and I had time to finish the book. J.K.Rowling was at her best. The book is brilliant.

Back at ISB everyone is silently praying for their Term 2 results and yesterday marks for one of the courses was out. I did well and with this result I think I am back to my normal study level. I never attempted to top the class right from my school days. Till a certain there was no competition and I used to be first in class and then later on when I moved to Hyderabad there were others who were smarter than me. I was happy to see more smarter ones than me. It helped me to learn new things from them. Same thing happened in college and at work too. Whenever I was the smartest around I had trouble. It was always good to have better people around. I did well at all the places where my boss and my team was very good. I enjoyed working with them, challened by them and I challenging and learning from them.

One of the reasons I came to ISB is precisely the above factor. There are so many brilliant people around that you are challenged and you can learn from almost everyone.

All this reminds me of the old Maaza (fruit drink ad) ad - Because you are young only once, do what you want to do, Doing what comes naturally - Maaza, Maaza. By the way mazaa means enjoyment in Hyderabadi.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Kiran,

    I am an applicant for the ISB class of 2009. I wish I get more 'Gyan' by interacting with you little more on ISB admissions.

    I have a GMAT score of 680, 2 yrs work-ex in a inter-govt JV co., in hyd and a considerably good profile. I have been taking sincere efforts towards to bring out good essays and recos.

    Plz help me in this regard.

    regards,

    G. Jeevish Glastine
    Hyderabad
    jeevih@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...I am looking to make it to ISB for 2008-2009 batch..and wud apply for R2 (cut of date 15 Nov 2007)..But, am stuck up with certain questions pertaining to ISB.I wud be highly obliged if you can help me out ...Pls let me know if i can put fwd my questions....Thanx..

    Regards
    Vipul Bhatnagar
    vipul.bhatnagar04@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete