Test

Test Testy

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Garbled Messages, Great Professors

Let me clarify, there is no linkage between the parts of the title. Garbled messages is something about me and the greatness is all about the professors

I always thought that my humor quotient is low as I normally cannot come up with a new joke. But the deeds of God are great.

Strange as it amy sound, I had seen that when I am speaking very passionately about something, people suddenly start laughing. Today another such thing happened. In the Strategy session, during the break we were discussing the model that Prof. Harbir Singh gave us on culture. When I was tryin to relate it to the tip of the iceberg model, suddenly people started laughing. When I asked what's so funny about it, they repeated what I just said, and it seems I said ice of the tipberg and hearing that I too started laughing.

This is the second time I have done this in the last three months. Last time it was "coss toining", I was actually trying to say coin tossing and I repeated coss toining thrice befor I realized what I was doing.

I have log back realized that I tend to speak little faster as I try to verbalize my thoughts and therefore it comes out in a confusing way for others. But after I started delivering training programs, worked a lot on this and used a clear plan, writing out the exact words, phrases and examples that I would use and was quite successful in keeping it simple for others. But when it comes to complex subjects, my mind works so fast that it becomes very difficult to verbalize them instantly. To overcome this I am working on using analogies to keep it simple and relate it to the audience.

Anyways, Term -2 at ISB comes to an end. We have three days to prepare for the term-end exams. This term has been a mixed bag in terms of the amount of effort and learning.

Competitive Strategy has put a lot of emphasis on prereads while Markstrat needed lot of team decision making. Macro Economics cleared lot of questions and allowed me to understand the linkages between Business, Society, Politics, Economics and people. Indeed I had got lot of my questions answered. Watching commanding heights gave a sense of what actually happened in the modern world. It was a sort of history but it is still contemporary and I feel that economics is one subject that will be contemporary forever. Economics is more of an art and less of a science, and Management inherits lot of those characteristics. Decision Modeling appeared to be math intensive but I felt it is more about logic, coomon sense and application of maths.

All the Profs have been fantastic and I think we had the best of the lot. I would remember Prof. Harbir Singh, Prof. Pradeep Bharadwaj, Prof. Jagmohan Raju, Prof. Ziv Katalan, Prof. Milind Sohoni and Prof. Krishna Kumar forever. These professors are not only great teachers but are also great contributors to their fiedl. After interacting with them, my respect for teachers ha got reinforced. Gaining knowledge and applying is one level of leadership but disseminating knowledge in a credible is at a much higher level. Credibility is the key word.

Finaly I have decided to post pictures of these great professors who would continue to inspire me by their passion and greatness


Professor Harbir Singh, also seen in the picture Ankush (black shirt), Pinaki (wondering what's happening) and Ratnakar (taking a parallel session)


The passionate professor - Milind Sohoni, and Suhail Abrol (not) listening carefully

Most liked professor - Prof. Pradeep Bharadwaj and the Rocking section - Sec E

No comments:

Post a Comment