Test

Test Testy

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A conversation between an ISB aspirant and a round one admit, part 2

Here comes my reply:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from Kiran Kumar A <kiran.aalla@gmail.com> Feb 20 (12 hours ago)
to raj date Feb 20, 2007 10:37 PM
subject Re: Hey kiran ... Can you pls suggest me dude mailed-by gmail.com

Hi Raj,

Nice to know you. Good to see that you want to get started well in advance. I shall try and reply to your queries, but please keep in mind that these are my opinions, some of them are subjective. Feel free to question anything that I say.

1. First GMAT:- I scored 690, AWA-6.0. 690 is like 91 percentile. I have seen even others who could make it to the interview stage even wit scores like 650, 620 also. I'm sure a handful might have even got through this year too, which you would see shortly in the class profile of 2008. But keep one thing in mind, a high GMAT score, in the range of 740 - 760, alone cannot ensure your chance, may be a 780/800 would but on the other hand a low GMAT score reduces your chances drastically. I wouldn't 740 is must but 740 is desirable and I don't think it's a great issue. If you are an avid reader and are an Engineer with a good IQ, you should be able to score at least 720, which is quite OK, it wouldn't reduce your chances. So work hard for 50 - 60 days and take the GMAT. As I didn't score 740, I don't think I can give any tips on GMAT.

2. IT background: There seems to be a strong assumption that if you are from IT, it's difficult to get in. I totally disagree with that. Currently 48% of the batch are from IT. Even more number of IT companies are coming to the campus, which is what ISB wants. Also IT guys have more visibility, better pay packets and therefore are beneficial to ISB's metrics. But the actual issue is that among the applicant pool you will have around 60 - 70% from IT background, therefore IT guys will have a higher competition compared to non-IT. ISB is interested to broad base its student profiles as they are focusing on long-term. Who knows after five years which vertical would be in boom? Just keep in mind that you will have higher competition and therefore be prepared to fight hard. Don't take anything light.

3. The most important question: Why MBA now? I will look at it in a different way than most others. If I had an option I wouldn't have gone for an MBA now. In fact there is no reason for me to do an MBA now but for my long term plans. Its a give and take scenario between you and the school. What will you be giving to the school and what are you expecting from the school. What any school can do is provide quality education, now they are not experts in career shifts or career growth. Their core competency is providing world class education. If every student gets sold only by the school's reputation then the school is giving to too many people and will get drained after sometime. Instead if the students are contributing to the image of the school and are not expecting too much, the school will be less pressurised and can focus on better things. So their question would be: Do we have to do a lot to place this guy or would this guys past profile and he himself be attractive enough for big brands, greater roles and good remuneration.
Currently I'm doing well in my job, and I am pretty happy with my role too. Only reason I want to go to a B-School is to get that Brand and at the same time eliminate certain gaps in my profile. By saying this I'm not undermining the learning from professors and peers at all, that is bonus for me. If I work hard myself I can reach my goals even without this MBA but this will take me to a different league, which is why I'm ready to spend the money and time and make the effort. In fact, I felt that if I don't get in this year I wouldn't have tried again as the ROI wouldn't have been attractive. I would have looked at easier options next year.

Similarly check if you really need the MBA right now, are you ready for it, what is that you will get in the MBA that can unleash your potential. Have exhausted all the potential available to you based on your current qualification, your experience and your area of expertise. If yes and if you feel that an MBA would take you into a different league then you have a strong case. But if you are saying I'm not enjoying my current thing, I'm not fit for this but need to do an MBA and go for a change then you have a very weak case.

Finally it's not a question of having a chance or not, it is a question of how valuable is it for you right now. Don't go by the average salary figures, they are for the industry and media, what should matter to you is known only to you.

Hope I made some sense.

After writing this detailed mail I feel that it would be useful to post this whole thing on my blog and if you are OK your mail too without your name and specific details. Let me know if you're OK with it otherwise I'll just post my reply.

Feel free to write back.

Warm Regards
Kiran Kumar. A

No comments:

Post a Comment