Test

Test Testy

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Guru - A film that I liked after a long time


After long time I dared to watch a movie in the release week. I stopped watching any movie in the release week from almost last 10 years. But after a long time I could overcome my inertia and made effort to get tickets and watch the movie. I think I had a similar urge to go and watch the movie way back, when I saw the trailers of Roja and again only for Guru.

To be honest I am an avid movie watcher since childhood. But slowly as I grew up, I become very choosy and settled down to watch only movies that hit the 100 day mark and seem to make some sense.

From last 5-6 years I had been wondering why movies are made around only few subjects - love, action, hero-oriented or some simple nonsense remakes. I was wondering, how come there are no topics/subjects that can show the success stories through the so powerful medium called cinema. I was very happy to see movies like Munnabhai and Lage raho. It's not that I don't enjoy the romantic and action types but once in a while you need to get in touch with reality.

By making Guru, Maniratnam had fulfilled my long drawn wish - to see a success story, not just of love but of life in totality, on screen. I have lots of appreciation for the movie - the screen play, editing, music, casting and so on, but my biggest praise is for the subject. Though Mani denied that the movie is made based on the life of a successful businessman, it definitely has too many resemblances.

I felt the key part of the movie is when Guru bhai states his reply to the enquiry commission. That 3 minutes, I feel, is the most impactful part of the movie. The dialogues were excellent and exactly depicted what happened from Independence till Dr. Manmohan as the finance minister, initiated the reforms. You have to watch the movie to feel what so many entreprenuers of that period might have gone through.

For Aishwarya, it was a fantastic opportunity and she did very well, all credit goes to the director. For Abhishek, Guru will make everyone accept that he has arrived. I don't know if Abhishek will ever get another role like Guru once again.

Today each one of us are enjoying the fruits of the entrprenuerial ventures of a few handful visionaries. We have to salute those few who dared against all the odds and the fingers pointing at them.

One of the very good points in this movie is the aspect of marriage - Guru marries Sujatha only to get capital for his business, but keeps his promise that he will take care of her. When she realises this she leaves him but quickly realises the truth. No great sacrificial love story and no over-emotional-dialogues, a simple truth about marriage is revealed so subtly - in marriage you take care of each other, love and romance just happens.


Last point that I liked very much is the go-getter and never-say-die attitude that is displayed by Guru. When you want things to happen really, they do happen, even the most tough situation changes into the most favourable one.

A must watch for all B-school aspirants, current students and even Alums

No comments:

Post a Comment