Test

Test Testy

Sunday, August 31, 2008

ISB admissions for Class of 2010 essay

In the race to outsmart each other, ISB adcom seems to have come up with a tough topic for one of the admission essays. While the essence of the topics remain the same every year, the topic changes, putting the applicants in a fix. From all the requests that I have been getting I have gathered that there is an essay asking the applicant to describe what would he/she do if he becomes student body president.

Most applicants think that they have to gather as much information as possible and only then attempt the essay. I don't know how many people have approached the current and the previous GSB president.

My sincere advise and request to all the applicants is as below:

Are you expected to know everything about what happens at ISB? I don't think so, if you feel so, write to adcom to describe about the position rather than approaching alums you know. If you know too much, you will have to explain how you know in the interview, which may not be a good thing. On the other hand assuming everything may not be correct.

If I have to attempt this essay, I would try to think about how does the student body look like (details available on ISB site), what could be challenges they face, who are the different parties the President have to address (interact and work with), what kind of approach would be good (you would be dealing with a diverse and smart peer group) etc and then put down the essay. Rather than focusing on the specifics, I suggest that essay should address the big issues.

This is more than what I wanted to share, I would take leave otherwise I may get a call from the honor(horror) committee. I wonder what to do if they take away my degree now :?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kiran,

    Did you mean to say '2009 essay' (and not '2010')?

    Regards.

    VC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I too thought you are correct for a minute. But then realised that though the admissions are for the batch that begins in 2009, they will graduate in 2010 and ISB calls them Class of 2010. Nevertheless I have modified the title to make this clear.

    Thanks anyways for pointing out the ambiguity.

    Regards
    Kiran

    ReplyDelete
  3. in reference to "ISB calls them Class of 2010" - the are not wrong in saying that
    Your graduating year is the class you are referred to by.

    So if you graduate in 2010 you are class of 2010 or batch of 2010

    ReplyDelete