Test

Test Testy

Friday, January 18, 2008

Mobile phone service ads - do they make sense

Advertisements of two leading mobile service providers - Airtel and Vodafone continue to intrigue me. I am referring to a series of ads by Vodafone about the value added services for Rs.30/month and the Airtel ad that shows kids crossing boundaries to play football.

Vodafone ads are really superior on the imagery dimension despite having a functional message. But the question I have in mind is about the usefulness of these services and whether anyone would buy these services at 30 bucks in India. Instead having something for 10 bucks might encourage people to at least try and at 30 bucks a month I don't see any value and I wouldn't subscribe to any of those services.

On the other hand Airtel's ad is completely on the imagery side but it fails to communicate any value that is relevant to a mobile communications service provider. The ad is decent but the number of times it is being aired is making it boring and eliminating any positive associations.

I am still wondering what is Vodafone's value proposition over Hutch and what is it going to do once number portability is introduced in India. It is challenge for all the service providers and it would be interesting to wait and watch.

One of the readers has requested more info about signaling and I am planning to write the next post on that once again. Keep reading.

1 comment:

  1. COming to think of Ads, I hope you have seen an add from an Insurance company which reads as IF ONLY I had sent ____ to ___ and the IF ONLY part is cut...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete